Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father's Day. My own father passed away 23 years ago, but he was a great Dad and I hope he is having a blessed Father's Day in Heaven. I was thinking about Father's Day and adoptive dads and someone special came to mind. His name is Gary. He and his wife adopted two children a few years back. Of course they were thrilled to adopt and Gary bonded very quickly to the kids. All that was good.

We all know that life happens. Circumstances change and our lives change in ways that are sometimes beyond our control. In Gary's case, he never thought he'd be a single parent, but he is. Divorce can happen to adoptive parents too. I think sometimes the stress of infertility and the procedures that come with it can really take it's toll on families. That stress can blindside even those who think they have it under control. Gary works by day and takes care of his children each morning and evening. He brushes hair, teaches manners, helps with dressing, does bath time, dinner, and reads stories. He instills values and takes them to church. He does everything two parents do. Single Moms know this drill well, but not too many Dads take on the task of raising children alone. When they do it voluntarily, it's special and (I think)worthy of recognition. I don't believe I am at all sexist, but I think it's different and perhaps more of a challenge for men to be single parents than it is for women. As women, we are natural multi-taskers. We cook dinner and do laundry at the same time, while juggling a baby on one hip and helping another child with homework. We can answer the phone if it rings while we're doing all of this! So, when a man takes on the job of raising children alone, it's commendable.

I had a very special Dad and I often think of the sacrifices he made for us. I think Gary is one of those special Dads whose children will always remember that he is there for them no matter what. It's heartwarming to see a man step up to the plate like that. It has been said that "A man is never taller than when he stoops down to help a child". Gary is that man. I thought of him today. Happy Father's Day, Gary. Happy Father's Day to all Dads, Step-Dads, Grand-Dads, and those who step in for Dads. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Brian and Bridget said...

I think that single dads are commendable too. It's second nature for women to multi-task, but sometimes it's more of a challenge for men to do the same thing. This must be why you can't talk to them when they're watching television ;)

Brian and Bridget said...

I love the new pics in the sidebar by the way :) Go Erin!