Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bragging Rights

When our children are little, we find all kinds of things to brag about. We like to share the news when they make that first newborn smile, take their first baby steps, when they give up the bottle, learn to use the potty, recite their alphabet, learn how to ride a bike, or show a talent. Friends and co-workers nod and roll their eyes, knowing they will hear about each and every landmark or achievement. As children get older and leave their babyhood behind, we expect a little more from them and we tend to take it in stride when they do good things or accomplish goals. We almost expect it, so we're not so vocal about it. Maybe the newness of babyhood has worn off. My son is always telling me I don't praise him enough. He has the whole situation psychoanalized. I keep reminding him that you have to DO something to be praised for it. The dishes don't do themselves! I think he believes couch surfing is a real sport. How did we ever grow up without a remote control?

However, today my daughter, Erin, gave me something to praise her for and to brag about, if you'll indulge me. Erin is in her second year of college and no longer a little one, but once you have a baby, they are always your baby, no matter how old.

She was previously accepted to UNLV with the stipulation that she transfer with a 3.0 grade point average and she had to have 11 units this semester to qualify for a transfer. She took 14 just to be safe. She did a lot of studying and pored over the books and wrote essays and participated in many projects. She met friends for study groups and spent time on research. I complained a little because she didn't have a job this semester, but she kept telling me that school was about all she could handle. As she anxiously awaited her grades at the end of the semester, she second-guessed herself, even convincing herself that she may not pass her English Composition class. Writing isn't her strong suit (Go figure. She could have absorbed that by osmosis if she didn't get it genetically). Her English teacher didn't post grades most of the semester, so it was truly a guess on her part. However, when the grades were finally posted and the dust had settled, my little girl could hardly believe her eyes. She aced each course, and the finals and ended up with a 4.0 GPA. She scored more than 100% in two of her classes (she's a believer in extra credit). So, here I am bragging about my baby once more. I'm very proud of her. She'll be moving away to the dorms in Las Vegas in the Fall and I'm not sure how the mommy bird will do without her little chick. That will be two out of the nest. The third one could be trouble. He'll be far too comfortable with the nest all to himself. I may need a new couch.

1 comment:

Brian and Bridget said...

Go Erin! :) That is awesome news. You've given that great girl a good head on her shoulders. She'll do fabulously at UNLV.