Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Depo Provera - Birth Control or Fertility Drug?

As you might imagine in adoption, birth control and fertility issues are often topics of discussion in my world. Over the past few years, I have observed that most birth moms weren't irresponsible or careless. Their birth control method simply failed. Which method seems to fail the most? By a landslide, Depo Provera. I have often joked that with a little tweaking, it could become the next fertility drug. Whenever I am contacted by a birth mom who wants to make an adoption plan, we discuss everything - from the timing of the pregnancy and the birth father, to her future plans and birth control. Much of the time, there was an effort to prevent pregnancy. In the literature, it says that Depo Provera is 97% effective in prevention of pregnancy. I'm not sure why, then, a preponderance of birth moms who call have been on it. It would seem that the 97% figure isn't even close to the true percentages. A friend of mine went on Depo for a short period of time. She experienced one of the many listed side effects, bleeding during the course of the medication. The Depo shot is administered every three months. My friend experienced moderate bleeding for the entire three months. She said it was like having a period the whole time. So, then, it's no wonder it should be a successful form of birth control. It's not surprising that a woman wouldn't feel like participating in the kind of activities that would cause pregnancy while consistently bleeding. However, for those who are able to tolerate it and are sexually active, it seems that pregnancy is a real risk. The other side effects of Depo Provera are abdominal pain or discomfort, weight changes, headache, asthenia (weakness or fatigue), and nervousness -- all symptoms which can also be attributed to pregnancy, and which mask a pregnancy should it occur. I know a few babies who are testimony to that.

One study found an association between using Depo-Provera and higher incidence of chlamydia and gonorrhea. I'm not sure how other methods of birth control fared in terms of sexually transmitted diseases, but it's apparent that women who are on birth control seem to get a feeling of security about not getting pregnant that also crosses over to sexually transmitted diseases. Obviously, that's where condoms are a better choice. They are, according to the literature, when used correctly, almost as effective as Depo. In reality, I believe they are much safer in terms of preventing pregnancy, and certainly safer than other methods for preventing STD's.

It would be interesting to see a current research study done on unplanned pregnancies which include the forms of birth control used and the failure rates of each. In the meantime, if you want to get pregnant, try Depo Provera. It seems to work.

1 comment:

Kelsey Stewart, Author said...

Great post, and great information! I will put in my two cents. I got pregnant while taking the pill. I was always good at remembering and making sure I did my part to help the effectiveness of the pill. My dentist, however, did not do his job. I had an absessed tooth and after fixing the cavity, he told me I needed to take antibiotics for the infection. He did not think to ask if I was on birth control and gave me a week supply out of his office, WITHOUT asking if I was on any other medication. If he had, I would not be writing here.

Two years later, after learning my lesson, I started using not one...but two forms of birth control. I had a diaphram and also used the foam that used to be available. Even with those in place, I got pregnant again.

So, I have always said that my pregnancies happened for a reason and I truly believe that God himself gave me those babies because he knew that I would be able to walk without my children (a daughter and twins were the result and I did place them for adoption) and fulfill the lives of others. I have no regrets what so ever and thank Him for showing me what love, life and living happiliy are all about!

Thanks for this information!