Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How Green Can You Get?

Like everyone else these days, I'm leaning towards green energy and keeping our planet more balanced. With that in mind, I received a unique gift. I love babies. Everyone knows that. And babies make poop. So, I guess it was a no-brainer when my fiance found a gift that tied it all together. Poopoopaper. Yes, you read it right. I was all excited when I opened the mystery box that arrived in the mail. What could it be? Inside, there was a box with sheets of note paper -- all made from 100% recycled elephant dung. Imagine my delight!

After I stopped being grossed out and before I started laughing about it, I read the insert. It turns out that it's not a bad idea. Elephants are facing the destruction of their natural habitats and, with their size, they need a lot of habitat. They eat mostly plant fiber at the rate of up to 600 lbs. per day. That creates about 220 lbs. of dung per day per elephant. That's a lot of poo poo. So, what to do with all the poop? Someone with a great imagination figured out that since about 60% of what an elephant eats in a day is not digested but rather just comes out in it's original form, that volume of plant fiber could be washed and boiled (thank you) and pressed and made into paper! I'm trying not to think about the process, particularly in it's early stages of development.

The funds generated from the poopoopaper are used for the upkeep of elephants and conservation projects relating to habitat. So, I guess it's not only helping the planet to recycle all of this plant waste, but it's also helping the elephants to live and thrive. That fits in with the green theme for sure. I want to support that. In fact, recycling plant fiber by harvesting poo poo is about as green as you get.

If you're interested in seeing what products poopoopaper has to offer or you just want a unique gift for someone you feel ambivalent about (I didn't say that), just go to their website at www.poopoopaper.com. Next time someone says they're "going green", you can teach them a thing or two. Thanks, Honey, for the lovely gift.

No comments: