Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Adoption - Welcome Home Abby & Ella!

I received a wonderful e-mail regarding Mother's Day and wanted to share it with everyone. It truly made me smile. This is what can happen when you're waiting for one newborn! Amy & Bob waited a while and were, I suspect, getting a little discouraged about the adoption process. And then it happened. We got a call from a young lady in Alaska who couldn't manage the four children she had and wanted a good home for her youngest, twin girls. Because they were not newborn, we sent a message to our families asking who would be interested. We received a fairly large response and the birth mom had quite a few good choices. She chose Bob and Amy and while I don't normally recommend adopting children older than your youngest, I knew that this was a good fit and that it would work. On so many levels, it was a perfect match and it's been a fairly seamless transition. This from Amy...

"Dear Tina -

Mother's Day was fantastic! Who would have thought last year at this time that I would be the mother of three? Not me!

The girls are doing very well. They have both adjusted nicely to their new names, new room, new family, new everything. They are so resilient! We have made our first trip to the pediatrician, to the dentist, and to have them evaluated developmentally. Everything has gone well. Both girls are working with a speech therapist and they are already speaking volumes better than when they first got home two months ago. It's hard to believe it has been two months -- Wow!

I think Garrett has finally realized that his sisters are here to stay. It is really neat to watch them interact. Garrett and Ella both have a very physical approach to playing. They enjoy being outside, running, climbing, and physically immersing themselves into everything they do. Garrett and Abby, on the other hand, play more make believe stuff. They play house together, in their play kitchen and with little people, etc. They all laugh hysterically together, which brings us such joy! At the end of dinner, they break into songs -- everything from the ABC song to Jesus Loves Me to Row Row Row Your Boat (none of which the girls had ever heard before). They sing at the top of their lungs and clap wildly for each other. Heaven!

When we first got home, we had a variety of friends who brought us meals every night. What a blessing! My mom came and stayed with us for a month too. That was helpful beyond words! We had people we didn't even know dropping off toys, clothing, etc. In fact, I was at a Tastefully Simple party and a woman there heard me talking about the twins and said, 'Hey - I know you! I heard about your story on my prayer chain. I've been praying for you since February!' Can you believe that? Talk about goose bumps.

Obviously I could go on and on. I can tell you this -- We cannot imagine our lives without Abby and Ella. They are such a perfect fit! They have already brought so much to us and to our family. We are blessed beyond measure."

I can picture the kids singing and clapping for each other. In the pictures, you can just see the joy on their faces. This is what family is all about. Welcome to your family Abby & Ella!

1 comment:

adrienne said...

That is so awesome! Anything is possible through adoption.